Last Updated: December 23, 2019
Collection And Use Of Your Personal Information
Bloomberg, or where relevant a designated service provider, collects personal information that you choose to provide or we receive from other sources. This may include personal information you provide through this Site, on third-party websites and applications when subscribing digitally to Bloomberg.com or Bloomberg Businessweek, through registering for our services and products, through requesting certain Bloomberg services or products, by submitting the information to enter a sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion or offline in connection with your Bloomberg Businessweek print edition subscription.
We and designated service providers, may obtain the following types of personal information in connection with this Site:
- • name, email address, postal address, account names and passwords, or other contact information
- • signature, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, or other similar identifiers
- • Professional, employment-related, or education information
- • Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding a user’s interaction with an Internet website, application, advertisement
- • Demographic information
- • billing information, credit card number or other financial information
- • geolocation
We use this information for carefully considered purposes which also benefit our customers and which include some or all of the following:
- • to provide and facilitate our services and products
- • to operate our services, products, and systems properly
- • to communicate with you
- • to help Bloomberg improve, upgrade, or enhance our services and products and develop new services and products
- • to provide support for our services and products,
- • to maintain the quality and safety of products and services, and for internal quality control purpose including debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality
- • to provide you with offers and promotions about services and products of Bloomberg or of other parties that may be of interest to you
- •to enhance your experience with this Site, including to save your preference and login information, providing customized content or contextual advertisements, and providing tailored advertisements to analyze website usage, analyze use of this Site, analyze and measure ad impressions, and to protect the interests, rights, safety, or property of Bloomberg or others and to monitor compliance with and enforce the terms of any agreement with Bloomberg
- •to monitor to detect security incidents and protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and hold those responsible for that activity
Bloomberg or a designated service provider may also take photographs and video at Bloomberg offices and premises worldwide for security and other internal purposes.
Bloomberg and the parties with whom we work (e.g., service providers, business partners, advertisers, ad technology providers and advertising servers) may place, view, and/or use “cookies”, web server logs, web beacons, pixels or other electronic technologies to collect statistical and other information about you and your use of this Site. This information may include information about the IP address of your computer, browser type, language, operating system, your mobile device, device ID, geolocation data, the state or country from which you accessed this Site services, the webpages visited, the date and the time of a visit, the websites you visited immediately before and after visiting this Site, the number of links you click within this Site, the functions you use on this Site, the databases you view and the searches you request on this Site, the data you save on or download from this Site and the number of times you view an advertisement.
Bloomberg and the parties with whom we work may use the information collected for various reasons, either on behalf of Bloomberg or for the other parties’ own purposes, including research, analysis, to better serve visitors to this Site (such as by enabling log-in, providing access to certain sections of this Site, providing customized content or customized contextual advertisements, or presenting online advertising on this Site or other websites tailored to your interests as described further below), to compile aggregate and anonymous information about usage of this Site and other websites, other statistics, etc. However, if you have deleted and disabled cookies, these uses will not be possible to the extent they are based on cookie information. To opt out of Google Analytics please click here. To opt out of Parse.ly analytics, please click here.
Most browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually set your browser to disable cookies, or to alert you when cookies are being sent. Likewise, most mobile devices allow you to disable the ability for geo-location information to be collected from your mobile device. The help function on most browsers and mobile devices contains instructions on how to set your browser to notify you before accepting cookies, disable cookies entirely, or disable the collection of geo-location data. You need to set each browser, on each device you use to surf the Web. Thus, if you use multiple browsers (e.g., Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.), you should repeat this procedure with each one. Similarly, if you connect to the Web from multiple devices (e.g., work and home), you need to set each browser on each device. Depending on your jurisdiction, you may be able to utilize additional cookie management tools. However, if you disable certain cookies or refuse to accept a request to place a cookie, it is possible that some parts of this Site, such as the polls, surveys, contests, and product sales, and certain areas of this Site for which you need to log in, will not function properly, and the advertising you receive when you visit this Site may not be advertisements tailored to your interests.
DoubleClick for Publishers, Google Analytics for Display Advertising, and other designated service providers assist Bloomberg with advertisement display functions and related analytics for this Site. To opt out of tailored advertising from Google tracking technologies, please click here.
Note that even if you exercise choice for targeted advertising, you will still receive online advertising.
Disclosure Of Your Personal Information
Bloomberg may also disclose your personal information to unaffiliated third parties if we believe in good faith that such disclosure is necessary to: (a) comply with any applicable law, rule, or regulation, or in response to a subpoena, court order, or other legal process, subject to Bloomberg’s Law Enforcement Data Request Statement; (b) protect the interests, rights, safety, or property of Bloomberg or others; (c) monitor compliance with and enforce any terms of service on this Site; (d) provide our services and products (including allowing a purchaser of Bloomberg or a Bloomberg division to continue to serve you); (e) perform other activities related to such services and products, including billing and collection; (f) provide you with offers or promotions from Bloomberg; or (g) operate the systems that provide our services and products properly.
The collection, further use, and/or disclosure of your information by Third-Party Providers or by other third parties is not the responsibility of Bloomberg. Rather, such collection, use, and/or disclosure is governed by the third parties’ privacy policies.
Accuracy, Security, And Retention Of Your Personal Information
Any personal information you provide to Bloomberg is kept on secure servers. Bloomberg uses security measures appropriate to the provision of the relevant product or service, such as reasonable administrative, technical, personnel, and physical measures (a) to safeguard personal information against loss, theft, unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification; and (b) to ensure the integrity of the personal information. To help us protect your privacy, you should maintain the secrecy of the logon ID and password you may have set up in connection with your participation in this Site’s services. Personal information is retained for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it is collected, including legitimate business reasons, and/or legal and regulatory requirements.
Rights With Respect To Your Personal Information
Please note that it may take some time to process your request, consistent with applicable law.
Your California Privacy Rights
- • certain information about our collection, use, sale, or disclosure of your personal information
- • deletion of your personal information collected or maintained by us
- • to opt-out of the sale of your personal information
You also have the right to not receive discriminatory treatment for exercising these rights.
To exercise a right related to your personal information, please contact us by clicking here.
If you are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits you to request information regarding the disclosure of your personal information by Bloomberg L.P. to its affiliates and/or third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
To make such a request, please send an email with your first name, last name, mailing address, email address and telephone number to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “California Privacy Rights” in the Subject line of your email.
You may also make such a request by writing to us at:
Attn: Legal Department
731 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10022
Transfer Of Your Personal Information To Other Countries
Links To Third-Party Services
Bloomberg may provide links or access to third-party websites or other digital properties, including social networking websites. Since we do not control third-party digital properties and are not responsible for any information you may provide while on such digital properties, we encourage you to read the privacy policies on those websites before providing any of your information on such digital properties.